A Magical Victorian Christmas
Thursday December 03 to Sunday December 13
Old Government House, Parramatta Park
- WHAT: A Magical Victorian Christmas
- WHEN: 3 Dec 2020, 10:00 am until 13 Dec 2020, 04:00 pm
- WHERE: Old Government House, Parramatta Park
- HOW MUCH: Normal admission: Adult: $15 Concession: $10 Family: $35 and Free entry for National Trust Members only
- WEBSITE: https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/event/a-magical-victorian-christmas/
- CONTACT: (02) 9635 8149 firstname.lastname@example.org
Come and celebrate with us as we dress Old Government House in Victorian splendour to celebrate Christmas! Experience this historic house decked in traditional ornaments, featuring festive Christmas greenery, a walkway adorned with paper snowflakes, and a beautifully decorated tree gracing the stairhall.
With the shutters closed to keep out the summer heat, a traditional wintery wonderland will come to life as the darkened rooms and period furniture are lit by fairy lights. Guided by the sound of traditional Christmas carols coming from the drawing room, enter the stairhall via our Christmas archway and make your way to the kitchen where our off-duty cook has been busy preparing Christmas puddings and mince pies.
For many newcomers to New South Wales during the Victorian age, Old Government House was their home during their first summer Christmas while they stayed here during its time as a boarding house. Christmas was a time of year which would have evoked feelings of homesickness and a longing for English traditions for these new arrivals.
Immerse yourself in the festivities of this bygone era, and celebrate with your friends, family or partner by taking a photo in front of our impressive Christmas tree located right next to the grand staircase.
Contribute to Old Government Houses’ walkway of snowflakes by creating an individual snowflake of your own, with instructions and materials provided. Kids and families will also have the opportunity to make their own Christmas lanterns, which can be taken home with you and used for decorations in your own home.
To complete your visit, make sure you book a family Christmas lunch or dinner at our onsite restaurant Lachlan’s. With a beautiful veranda and options for high tea, a la carte, or café menu, this is the perfect venue for the festive season.
- Entry to Old Government House, access to Transportation exhibition upstairs and a chance to see Christmas decorations downstairs
- The property is currently closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays